None of us is a stranger to the phrase “I don’t have anything to wear!” as we stare at a closet that’s filled to the brim. While others feel great in having collected all these clothes–probably because they were purchased through hard work and perseverance, others strive for a closet that’s simple yet have all the essentials that they need.
The Capsule Wardrobe
Have you heard of the capsule wardrobe trend? It’s basically a small collection of clothes that you love, look and feel great in, and can be mixed and match to create numerous outfit combinations. Sounds good, right? However, a lot of people worry about this trend because it can be restrictive. It can even result in having repetitive styles and can even make you feel less free in terms of choosing what you would like to wear for an entire week.
But if you look in the positive side of things, having a clutter-free wardrobe basically means that you can easily find things that you truly love wearing, instead of digging through a pile that you don’t actually wear. Let’s face it, we just sometimes can’t let go of some of the pieces there for numerous reasons. Maybe you’ve gained or lost weight and you just don’t fit in them anymore? But then you are promising yourself that you’ll gain or lose weight so you’ll just keep that dress anyway. Maybe your sister gave you that shirt and it just feels very valuable to you, but it’s really not your style! Either way, you just keep it in your closet just in case your sister looks for it. Bottom line is, we all have grown attached to a garment or two, but we don’t really want to wear them!
Here are some of the reasons why going for a wardrobe that’s only full of essentials is a good thing:
- Looking for things to wear is easier. Since you only get to keep the things that you 100% love, your options are fully narrowed down. There’s really no excuse to not want to wear those items that are left in there since you only have your favorites to choose from. Never in your life will you have to try a hundred of things on just to take them off a few minutes or seconds later. There’s so much joy in flipping through just a couple of clothes without messing up your entire cabinet for that perfect OOTD.
- It can save you a lot of time. Ladies tend to weed through their clothes for more than 30 minutes per day. Did you know that there is a study that says an average woman spends about 287 days in a lifetime just by deciding what to wear? Imagine how much time you will be saving if you spend less time digging through your cluttered closet. Life can already be complicated, so it’s best to save time and make room for only the important things. Not only that you’ll waste less time trying multiple outfits, but you’re also saving a lot of time in folding them back again.
- Less stress and less fatigue. Admit it or not, it is actually a very stressful process to always have a hard time looking for what to wear. Sometimes, you just find yourself staring at that cluttered closet without actually digging through it because the thought of not being able to find anything to wear just makes you question all your life’s decisions. Why didn’t I shop for better clothes? Why did I eat this much and now everything doesn’t fit? Or how did it even come to this that I have this many clothes? Not to mention that it is physically exhausting to try on clothes and remove them again, and repeating the process.
- A better outlook when it comes to clothes. Clothes are one of life’s luxuries and they can be great rewards for ourselves. Clothes are supposed to be fun, not an overwhelming burden to your life. If you simplify your wardrobe, you are helping yourself appreciate one of life’s luxuries!
- Less laundry. Doing the laundry can be a daunting task especially if your wardrobe is full to the brim. If you have fewer clothes and are left only with the essentials, chances are your laundry isn’t as piled up as you thought it would be. This also saves you time from washing clothes frequently, and can even save you money because of the amount of time you’re spending using the washing machine or the laundry service. Wouldn’t it be a dream to just come home, lounge around and rest, instead of doing your laundry?
- Your closet is pleasing to look at. Anything that’s neat and organized will always be pleasing to the eye. Your home might be clean and uncluttered, but most ladies tend to have their closets as the messiest part of the house. A closet that’s clutter-free can free up space in your home and it lets you have more storage for other things. If you want a closet that’s Instagrammable, you can even go out of your way and organize your closet through color schemes. Maybe this time, you can even post your beautiful closet on Instagram.
- Confidence boost. If your wardrobe is smaller, it is very easy to identify your style preference. This is essential for effective mixing and matching of outfit choices. If it’s clear that you love going for a certain look, then it is easy to look and feel great. A clutter-free home also feels rewarding and it provides you the feeling of being well-organized.
- You’re easily content. If you always feel like you don’t have anything to wear, chances are you are desperate to always buy new clothes. Buying new clothes doesn’t always mean that your wardrobe will be better, especially when you are not filling your closet with things that you 100% love and enjoy wearing.
- It saves you a lot of money. Creating a minimalist wardrobe can curve excess and mindless shopping. Your only aim is to make sure that the clothes you are purchasing are what you need and it can easily turn into an investment. You can also save a lot of money by opting for bespoke clothes.
Tips On How You Can Build Your Capsule Wardrobe
Creating a capsule wardrobe requires you to buy fewer clothes in general. Intentionally, you have to keep in mind that these clothes need to last longer than the usual, so quality is very important other than the garments being essential.
- Declutter your closet first. Before anything else, make sure that you declutter your closet and let go of items that you’re no longer going to wear. Go through this process tediously and avoid hanging onto garments that you are not going to wear a month from now.
- Analyze what you’ve uncluttered. You should be able to notice clothing design similarities that you’ve tossed out of your closet. If it is because of the design that you dislike, avoid repurchasing items that are similar in cut or design. Figure out if a certain color is also the reason why you’ve let go of some of these items, and avoid it on your next purchase, too.
- Opt for bespoke clothing. Bespoke clothing is known for its high-quality, durability, and the perfect made to measure fit. Purchasing bespoke clothing can easily ensure that your clothes will last a long time, even if it is worn many times. Since the clothes that you need to have in your closet should be something that you 100% love, a perfect fit is also important.
- List down the essentials. You don’t really need 20 pairs of denim jeans! Sometimes, all you need is a couple of jeans in different designs and your capsule closet is tidier than ever. When keeping in mind the essentials that you need, always go for versatile garments that will look good with the rest of what you have. Depending on your preference, you can even stick with a monochrome look or keep in mind the color palette that you’re going for. When in doubt, go for neutral colors such as black, white, grays, and nudes.
Here Are The Essentials That You Need In Your Capsule Wardrobe:
Since we’re keeping it simple, here are some of the essentials that you need in order to build your simplified wardrobe. Again, these garments would be best as bespoke to ensure that the fit makes you look good and feel good.
A Statement Blazer
You need this for workwear or if you just simply love dressing up blazers. However, it doesn’t mean that you need more than 10 pairs of different colored blazers. It’s actually great to keep in mind about the colors that you are likely to wear and decide the pairings from there. If you never really wear yellow blazers, then why should you have one in your closet? If you always find yourself gravitating through greys and blacks, then have a couple of these bespoke blazers in your wardrobe.
Everybody loves the comfort of fuzzy sweaters. They’re perfect for different seasons and not just fall and winter. It is important to have at least a couple of bespoke sweaters in your closet that you can wear with different accessories to dress up the simple and laid-back look.
Variation of Skirts
Skirts are very versatile and they can be easily paired with a lot of tops. Investing in good quality bespoke skirts can be a great addition to your closet if you’re getting a little tired of the average pants. Take into consideration the type of fabric, length, and even the cut of the skirts. This is good if you really want a great variation without having to purchase too many skirts.
Dresses For Different Occasions
Dresses are very easy to be creative with. Most of the time, you just need accessories like belts and a nice statement necklace to make the look a little different each time. You can even put a blazer on top of it if you really want to add a touch of elegance to it.
Pants can be your best friend when it comes to creating your simplified wardrobe. If you plan the type of pants that you should have as an essential, you can already create numerous outfits with just about 3-5 pairs of pants.
There’s something about graphic tees that adds a touch of personality to your outfit. It is also very versatile and you can even wear them with skirts and not just jeans. You definitely need a couple of graphic tees to make sure that your closet has a touch of personality to it.
Hoodies and Sweatshirts
If you’re the type of person who’s always cold or you simply just love the feel of being covered up, sweatshirts and hoodies can be your bestie. They take quite a lot of space in your closet, but it’s always great to have a couple of them around. Not only that, but they’re a great replacement for sweaters or if you’re just feeling lazy and you just want to put on anything that feels comfortable.
A Bespoke Capsule Wardrobe Is Amazing
If you really want a life that’s simplified, a bespoke wardrobe that’s all about minimalism is a great way to stay neat and organized. Not only are you benefiting from this financially, but it also improves the way you feel, look, and visualize your entire wardrobe.
Bespoke clothes are amazing. They can be a great source of joy!